Fresh from my recent travels to Costa Rica
After a year of dreaming about being able to travel again, it’s finally here! My family and I just got back from a week-long adventure in Costa Rica.
The trip was equal parts information gathering/scouting and equal parts celebratory family adventure. It provided me with the opportunity to check in personally with MOJO’s preferred partners in the Arenal and Manuel Antonio regions, so that we can best advise our clients on the current state of Post-COVID international travel as well as continue to broaden our network and offerings throughout the country. It also provided the chance to celebrate our youngest son’s graduation from high school and our upcoming empty nest hood. (Stay tuned — Lots more travel, as a result, is on the horizon!)
Here’s a few snapshots from our adventures…
MY TOP 2021 TRAVEL TIPS & TRICKS
- EACH COUNTRY HAS DIFFERENT REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER AND THEY CHANGE FREQUENTLY
- Typically, each county requires its own unique QR code to enter (obtained by submitting required documents to their website) so if you’re planning to visit multiple countries in the same region (i.e. multiple Caribbean islands) make sure you’re aware of the various entry requirements or enlist the help of a trusted travel professional.
- DIFFERENT COUNTRIES HAVE DIFFERENT COVID TESTING TIMELINES AND REQUIREMENTS
- Be sure you fully understand the current requirements, otherwise you risk being denied boarding and entry. For example, a PCR-specific COVID-19 test is required 72 hours prior to boarding a flight to Turks and Caicos, however, an antigen COVID-19 test (also taken within 72 hours) meets the requirements to return to the US.
- SHOW UP TO THE AIRPORT WITH HARDCOPIES OF ALL DOCUMENTS IN HAND
- The gate agents will require these documents to issue your boarding pass and it makes the process much quicker than hunting them down on your phone.
- WHENEVER POSSIBLE, PRE-SCHEDULE YOUR COVID TEST TO RETURN TO THE US
- Most international resorts offer on-site testing, however, make sure you’re aware of their testing hours, requirements and related costs ahead of time. Currently negative COVID-19 tests are required to be taken 3 calendar days prior to your departure back to the US. If possible, schedule your appointment when you check into the hotel, to ensure you have a buffer to receive your results in time before your flight.
- ARRIVE EARLY TO THE AIRPORT
- Expect longer check in and security lines as facilities are scrambling to staff back up. Also ensure you check with your airline frequently as schedule changes are commonplace. For convenience, MOJO travelers have the option of downloading a free app that alerts them to any flight schedule changes (often before the airlines themselves). The purchase of a supplemental trip insurance policy will also ensure you’re covered in the event of a trip delay.
Planning an upcoming adventure? We’ve got you covered! Please reach out to help ensure it’s both a stress-free and personalized experience.