Here’s how to renew your passport painlessly with these pro tips!
Are you planning on traveling internationally and your passport is set to expire? Last-minute passport renewals are possible if you know what to do!
- Double check your passport’s expiration date before any international travel. A large majority of countries require your passport to be valid at least 6 months before the date of travel. If your passport is set to expire in 2023, renew it sooner rather than later.
- Some exciting news! The US Passport Agency’s post-Covid log-jam has eased but regular processing time can still take 6-9 weeks.
- Visit THIS LINK to see if your passport is eligible to be renewed by mail. Main requirements to be eligible: passport must be undamaged, issued when you were 16+, issued within the last 15 years and issued in your current name.
- If you do not meet the main requirements to renew online/mail, visit THIS SITE . This shows you how to apply in person using Form DS11.
- If you need your passport expedited, there is an option for an additional fee (around $60). The expedited processing times are typically 3-5 weeks.
- If you are travelling internationally within 14 days (or 28 days with a Travel Visa), you can provide proof-of-travel (international flight receipt) and are eligible to apply in-person for passport renewal. To locate your nearest passport agency and make an appointment contact 1-877-487-2778. Through this route, passport renewals can be processed in as little as 1-2 business days.
- Lastly, third-party services such as CIBT VISAS can also help with expediting passports and travel visas prior to travel. Fees range from $150+ for expedited services